grub-devel

Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel vi

From: Michal Suchanek
Subject: Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel via BIOS ?!?
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:00:15 +0100

On 18 February 2010 11:24, Robo L <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a problem with remove the message "Welcome to GRUB!" in text Mode.
> In source 1.96 I remove Welcome text message, when call function
> grub_printf().
> In gfx mod is all OK, but If I not initialize gfx mode grub steel show
> "Welcome to GRUB!" inverted (black on white)
> I mean, that Grub print via lowlevel printig (int 0x10) with proprietary
> string data.

I don't see why you would want to remove this message. It's quite
useful as it shows progress in the early initialization stages of grub
and should grub crash before getting to the menu you would know it was
started at least. It's not possible to configure in a configuration
file because it is not loaded at this point yet.

Still the message is only in one place in the source and if you remove
the printf it is not shown.

It is usually not visible in graphics mode because it is cleared when
grub switches to graphics and it does not stay long enough to be
noticed.

To sum up if you installed a version of grub with this printf removed
you would not see the message. The default grub build would always
show it.

HTH

Michal