grub-devel

Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel vi

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: Lead-up message 'Welcome to GRUB!' inverted text printed lowlevel via BIOS ?!?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:21:45 +0000

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 08:56:15PM +0100, Robo L wrote:
> I found this function and make comment long ago
> After compilations welcome text not exist in binaries and GRUB still printed
> Welcome.
> Must be other function. I search in asm code, but still unsuccessfully.

No, that's the only place it comes from.  If you're still seeing it,
then you haven't properly reinstalled the rebuilt version, somehow.
Perhaps you didn't run grub-install, or perhaps you ran it with the
wrong destination.

> btw: This function do not print Inverted.

It's called as follows:

  grub_setcolorstate (GRUB_TERM_COLOR_HIGHLIGHT);
  grub_printf ("Welcome to GRUB!\n\n");
  grub_setcolorstate (GRUB_TERM_COLOR_STANDARD);

The grub_setcolorstate calls are what causes the message to be printed
in inverse video.