grub-devel

Re: Are BSD partitions not supported?

From: C. P. Ghost
Subject: Re: Are BSD partitions not supported?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:50:53 +0200

2010/5/24 Grégoire Sutre <address@hidden>:
> On 05/23/2010 05:44 PM, C. P. Ghost wrote:
>
>> With bsdlabel_v3.diff, and the image I've posted here, I get dropped
>> into grub_rescue. This breaks Vladimir's second patch on FreeBSD.
>> :-(
>
> Thanks for testing the patch.  But I honestly don't understand why it
> does not work on your system.
>
> I could reproduce the problem with trunk on your image by installing
> grub (trunk) on a USB key and by running:
>
> qemu -hda /dev/sdf -hdb /mnt/exchange/bsddisk.img
> grub> insmod part_bsd
> grub> ls (hd1,msdos2,bsd1)
>        Partition hd1,msdos2,bsd1: Unknown filesystem
>

> However, if I build the patched version (with bsdlabel_v3.diff) and
> re-install grub on the USB key, I get:
>
> qemu -hda /dev/sdf -hdb /mnt/exchange/bsddisk.img
> grub> insmod part_bsd
> grub> ls (hd1,msdos2,bsd1)
>        Partition hd1,msdos2,bsd1: Filesystem type ufs2 - Last
> modification time
>  2010-05-20 16:11:12 Thursday, UUID 4bf55bb9a21a9565
> grub> ls (hd1,msdos2,bsd1)/
> README boot/
> grub> cat (hd1,msdos2,bsd1)/README
> This file is on a UFS2 filesystem.

That's very strange...

I'm away from my test machine right now, but I'll provide
a diskimage with the v3 patch later, as soon as I can.

I don't think it's related to me using md(4) devices instead
of USB keys, but there's the slight possibility that it may
be the cause (?). I'll also test both v2 and v3 images on a
USB key as well with real hardware to see if it matters.

Thanks,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/