grub-devel

Re: Grub update?

From: Henry W. Peters
Subject: Re: Grub update?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:01:10 -0400

On 07/18/2010 01:42 PM, Colin Watson wrote:
On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:04:55PM -0400, Henry W. Peters wrote:
Running Debian Squeeze. Just got an update,&  now my terminal is hung up
with the following message:

Configuring grub-pc ├──────────────────────────┐
  │                                                                           │
  │ which devices you'd like grub-install to be automatically run for, if
  │ any.
  │
  │ It is recommended that you do this in most situations, to prevent the
  │ installed GRUB from getting out of sync with other components such as
  │ grub.cfg or with newer Linux images it will have to load.
  │
  │ If you're unsure which drive is designated as boot drive by your BIOS,
  │ it is often a good idea to install GRUB to all of them.
  │
  │ Note: It is possible to install GRUB to partition boot records as well,
  │ and some appropriate partitions are offered here.  However, this forces
  │ GRUB to use the blocklist mechanism, which makes it less reliable, and
  │ therefore is not recommended.
  │
  │<Ok>
  │

No options are given, the "<Ok>  " is not a real return button. I tried
restarting (had to give password to do so)...&  then re updating, it
goes back to this same message&  hangs up. It's been about 20 minutes
now... I only have two HD's. What to do?
The next screen after that should have a set of drives to select; this
has worked perfectly in my testing.  If it doesn't then that's a problem
at some other layer ...

(You may have to use Tab to get to the OK button before pressing Return,
or something.)

In any case, this isn't really a GRUB problem, but more a problem with
Debian; you should ask about it in some Debian context, perhaps
debian-user.

Thanks for reply Colin.

I needed to hit the tab button to highlight "<OK>" but now I get the list, & it has a red cursor, that when I hit return in the appropriate item, it goes to "<OK>" & I hit return, & get this:

─────────────────────────┤ Configuring grub-pc ├──────────────────────────┐
 │                                                                           │
│ You chose not to install GRUB to any devices. If you continue, the boot │ │ loader may not be properly configured, and when your computer next │ │ starts up it will use whatever was previously in the boot sector. If │ │ there is an earlier version of GRUB 2 in the boot sector, it may be │ │ unable to load modules or handle the current configuration file. │
│ If you are already running a different boot loader and want to carry on │ │ doing so, or if this is a special environment where you do not need a │ │ boot loader, then you should continue anyway. Otherwise, you should │ │ install GRUB somewhere. │
│ Continue without installing GRUB? │
 │ <Yes> <No>

Of course, I select <No> & it brings me back to the option lists, etc. again.How do I select an option?

I think this is a grub problem (insufficient (& rather non standard (?) instructions to select options!).

Thanks again.
Henry