grub-devel

Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: status of grub netboot in GRUB2
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:16:16 -0400

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 03:05:43PM -0400, John Lumby wrote:
> Anyone know if any work is being done on implementing a netboot function into
> GRUB2 similar to what is available in GRUB1?    I.e.,
>    .   supports current network hardware with self-contained drivers
>    .  does not require PXE hardware
>    .  does not require any other software

What is the point of having a bootloader that needs to sit on a disk on
a box, when then network boots?  With PXE and the like you don't need
any disk and means you are really net booting.

Of course I am just a user, so what do I know.  I just don't see the use.

> I see this article in this forum talking about some plans
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2006-05/msg00058.html
>
> and this one more recently
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2008-01/msg00640.html
>
>  -  but they are all years ago ...
>
> Or -  is there any kind of netboot functionality in GRUB2 or being worked on
> by anyone?

Pretty sure it supports PXE, which is useful.  Most modern PCs support
PXE.

--
Len Sorensen