grub-devel

Re: BtrFS available in experimental

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: BtrFS available in experimental
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 22:02:22 +0100

On 12/02/2010 03:41 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 04:51 PM, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko wrote:
>
>> Hello, all. It seems incresingly unpractical to assume that btrfs legal
>> issues will be resolved. So I using this specification :
>> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/User:Wtachi/On-disk_Format
>> implemented a reader. I haven't used any Oracle code for this. Code is
>> fresh from typing fingers. It may or may not work for. I'm aware of some
>> possibilities the code may hang parsing an incorrect BtrFS. Currently
>> lacking points:
>> - no multidevice

Done. RAID0, RAID1 and RAID10 are supported. BtrFS doesn't seem to
currently support anything more.
Note that the redundancy of RAID1(0) isn't used and current code just
read the first device. Also on every mount of multi-device btrfs all the
disks are rescanned. A cache is needed.
>> - no symlinks

Implemented
>> - no encryption, encoding or compressing

ZLIB is now supported. BtrFS doesn't seem to support anything more.
>> - no prealloc extents (doesn't look like we need them at all)
>> - grub-mkrelpath isn't adjust for /<subvolume>/ prefix
>>

> Several bugs fixed.
> grub-mkrelpath adjust for both bindmount and btrfs subvolume mount

As you can see it looks like all current BtrFS features are supported.
Remaining are speed optimisations (e.g. device assignment cache,
buffering,... ), robustness increase (check for faulty trees, oprionally
checksums) and of course testing, debugging and maintaining.

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko