grub-devel

Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree

From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
Subject: Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 00:02:52 +0100

On 09.02.2012 21:56, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 03:50:45PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
grub-install also still (as reported about 2 years ago) tries to use
$grub_device rather than $install_device when getting the partition
table type.

However, I did now manage to boot after fixing that.

So there is a chance I can make a patch to fix grub-install soon so it
actually works on IBM power systems.  Given I have a production machine
and a new machine around for a few days I can experiment until it
is right.
Is this supposed to work:

address@hidden:~# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device /dev/md0 --target=abstraction
diskfilter mdraid1x
address@hidden:~# /usr/sbin/grub-probe --device /dev/md1 --target=abstraction
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: Couldn't find PV (null). Check your device.map.

md0 is raid1, md1 is raid5, but with a missing device at the moment.

Does grub-probe not work if the raid5 isn't fully healthy?

The problem is how to figure out which partmap module is used on the missing disk (which isn't necessarily the same as on the other disks). Do you have any ideas?

--
Regards
Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko