grub-devel

Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Various build failures in current bzr tree
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 13:18:23 -0500

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 05:11:16PM +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
wrote:
> Imagine following setup: 2 disks with msdos and one with gpt. GPT
> one is missing on install time and so no part_gpt is inserted. On
> boot time is then one of msdos disks is missing and so GPT one is
> needed to complete a readable device but it's inaccessible since no
> GPT module is loaded.

Well I only hit this because one of Debian's update-grub scripts tried to
do a grub-probe and failed.  It wasn't an important one in my case,
so I disabled that script.  I do think most people would have a fully
working system before installing the boot loader so not a major problem.

> This and the rest of your e-mail is because of confusion of 2
> concepts: grub_device and install_device.
> grub_device is whereever GRUB modules reside and is determined from
> $boot_directory/grub (default is /boot/grub)
> install_device is whereever the core is and is the argument to grub-install.
> They are independent since you want to put core wherever firmware
> will find it independently of where your root is.
> install_device is not infered from grub_device or vice-versa.
> In mdraid example grub_device=mduuid/<UUID> but install_device is
> still /dev/sdaX

So if I tell grub-install to use /dev/sda1 as install_device, should
it not include the partition table support for sda?  Currently it only
tries to include partition table support for grub_device, which being
an md raid returns nothing.

--
Len Sorensen