grub-devel

Re: GRUB and the risk of block list corruption in extX

From: Martin Wilck
Subject: Re: GRUB and the risk of block list corruption in extX
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 11:54:51 +0100

Andrey,

> I think this is simply the wrong question for upstream. The primary
> consideration is, what happens inside filesystem is outside of grub
> scope, so grub simply cannot commit itself to saying "it's fine and we
> support it everywhere". Because grub has no control over what happens.

But isn't the question about a real world corruption scenario legitimate
nonetheless? And who else but the GRUB developers would be able to
answer it?

Upstream possibly underestimates the unsettledness that the strong
wording of grub2-install's warning and the constraint to allow block
lists only with "--force" has caused among users and other developers.
The Fedora developers took this warning so seriously that the option of
installing anywhere else but in the MBR has been removed from the installer.

> grub2 does not stop you from doing it. It just wants you to do it
> consciously :)

Good :)

Martin

--
Dr. Martin Wilck
PRIMERGY System Software Engineer

FUJITSU
Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH
Heinz-Nixdorf-Ring 1
33106 Paderborn, Germany
Phone:                  ++49 5251 525 2796
Fax:                    ++49 5251 525 2820
Email:                  address@hidden
Internet:               http://ts.fujitsu.com
Company Details:        http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint