grub-devel

Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot

From: Bob Lemar
Subject: Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 20:27:41 +0400

Thank you for your replies.

Yes, it is definitely BIOS problems as it doesn't allow to boot from
external drive directly (via BIOS boot order settings). It doesn't
show this drive at <F10> boot menu even after soft reboot. So BIOS
doesn't provide access to GRUB like to any other drives or USB
flashes.

And I suppose to think that it is not a bug, it is a feature. And
feature of external drive, not a BIOS. Vendors of spinning external
drive try to limit "uptime" of theirs HDD. External HDD could start as
soon as USB is powered but do not want to do it. It only starts when
OS tell it to start up (this commands are magic for me).

Facts:

- External drive is logically 4K (not a 512e thing). It is not a problem yet.

- USB 3 is not a problem yet. The drive doesn't work with USB 2 just
the same way. So it is not "nativeness" BIOS-USB hub communication
problem.

- BIOS behavior is correct (it power up USB);

- external drive behavior is correct (it is powered but starts only on
demand and it is sleeping in many cases including PC start);

- GRUB behavior is correct (it boots from drives that BIOS told him
about; only OS can detect this device as mass storage because it was
designed that way).

- Ales, you were absolutely right with floppy for booting CD trick
example. While MB, HDD firmwares and bootloader have predictable and
correct behavior some users would like to have bootloader feature
(GRUB command) that wake up external HDDs and re-detect drives.

Resolution:

- Boot USB thumb and use kexec to boot external HDD.
I did: (1) clone linux to external drive; (2) correct fstab at
external; (3) boot into internal drive OS; (4) mount external HDD
which became visible; (5) kexec images and boot external drive. // I
am not sure that only external drive files were used at second boot --
need to do clear experiment with minimal os at internal device or
thumb flash. kboot and petitboot are possible solve this problem.

- It is good point to create feature request at BugTracker. I wish
GRUB has command to power up external USB HDD and do manual redetect.
But I don't know what is happening technically when OS do it. I guess
I should find out it to be more specific while filling bug.