grub-devel

Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot

From: Chris Murphy
Subject: Re: USB3 3TB HDD boot
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:38:49 -0600

On Mar 15, 2013, at 11:53 AM, Lennart Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 09:59:22AM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>
>> If I want to see just the GPT header, which while only ~92 bytes, by spec it
>> gets its own sector, there's far less superfluous information using a bs of
>> 512 bytes than 4096 bytes.
>
> True, although the drive has to read 4096 bytes no matter how much you
> ask for.

OK.

In any case, these drives are floating around, and with at least one company's
firmware (of unknown affected models) it causes a hang when trying to boot
Windows. If the CSM-BIOS method is used to install Linux, I'd expect that to
hang as well when such a drive is attached. I think it's reasonable to expect
more strange behaviors as a result of these drives.

Chris Murphy