grub-devel

Re: Where is GRUB development?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Where is GRUB development?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 14:16:50 -0400

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 10:09:41PM +0400, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> Do you suggest to create extra menu entries for every possible
> combination of kernel parameters?

Yes.  It's not grub's job to know everything about a linux kernel,
or bsd kernel or whatever else you might want to pass.

Runlevels is a user space thing too, and not even a kernel thing, so
even more reason grub knows nothing about it.

> Sometimes we may need to change or augment what is in the config during
> boot as one off action. Without creating configuration file.

Which you can still do.

> Let's be fair.
>
> Editing grub2 menu entry is far more complicated than even editing plain
> grub legacy menu entry. And most users have never seen even that - they
> know gfxmenu that has input field for extra kernel parameters. So for
> 99% of *users* booting into single user was a matter of pressing "1
> ENTER". Most of them are not even aware that menu entries can be edited
> (because for them gfxmenu *was* grub).

Not really.  Editing in grub2 is not that different from grub 0.97
(although it is slightly different).

I have never used gfxmenu, so no idea what it looks like.

> For them doing anything in grub2 (even as much as forcing system into
> single user) is shocking experience.

I think you are the one that is being entirely unfair.

Debian auto generates a grub.cfg just fine with a rescue option for each
kernel detected which does single user mode.  It does other options too
if you ask it to.  Pretty darn simple to use.

--
Len Sorensen