grub-devel

Re: grub tools and Windows UAC

From: Andrey Borzenkov
Subject: Re: grub tools and Windows UAC
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 07:09:22 +0400

В Ср, 25/12/2013 в 13:16 +0100, Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
пишет:
> On 25.12.2013 12:11, Andrey Borzenkov wrote:
> > If UAC is enabled, running grub-install (and probably others too - did
> > not try) will request privilege elevation; but then process is
> > re-launched in separate window and disappears after it is finished.
> > This makes even reading help impossible.
> I think that the cause of it is get_default_platform which uses
> get_efi_variable to check for EFI.

Yes, of course.

>                                   Perhaps we should check privileges
> and assume BIOS if get_default_platform is run just for the help.

Better would be to tell the truth - platform unknown.

We will need privilege elevation to perform installation any way. What
we could do is to explicitly warn user about it and later grub-install
will simply exit due to unknown platform.