grub-devel

RE: grub2 code

From: Roger Cruz
Subject: RE: grub2 code
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 15:44:01 +0000

This was a bug that was introduced into GRUB when the code to detect if the
SHIFT key is being pressed was added.  The symptom was that customers were
complaining that even though they had turn on NUMLOCK in the BIOS, once we
booted our software, NUMLOCK was off.  It was easy to "see" when the bug was
happening because the NUMLOCK LED would turn off sometime during GRUB running.

I tracked it down to that one line which ANDs the BIOS state area and blows
away the NUMLOCK state in it  (it stores the value in the address in BX via
indirect addressing).

Hope this helps.  If it is not clear, please feel free to ask for more details.

Roger R. Cruz