grub-devel

Re: Query about GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK

From: Barry Jackson
Subject: Re: Query about GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:27:49 +0000

On 09/12/14 22:36, Barry Jackson wrote:
On 09/12/14 18:27, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
В Tue, 09 Dec 2014 12:35:20 +0000
Barry Jackson <address@hidden> пишет:

Hello,
In Mageia it has been proposed that GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y be made the
default setting in /etc/default/grub for all installations, whether they
use encryption or not.

The discussion happens every now and then.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/grub-devel/2013-12/msg00112.html

OK, thanks for the link.

In the case of Mageia the default installation puts everything required
by grub under /boot, so AFAICT this should not cause a problem.

... but it does.

I found time to do some testing, and adding it to the config on a system with no encryption at all causes an error message:
error: device name required.

this seems to be triggered by this line which grub-mkconfig adds to grub.cfg:

cryptomount -u

this causes a "Press any key to continue" message.
In practice the boot continues after about a 10 second delay without pressing a key.

I have confirmed this in VM and real h/w.