grub-devel

Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?

From: adrian15
Subject: Re: Does grub-mkrescue support UEFI hybrid USB/DVD images?
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:03:46 +0100

El 24/01/15 a las 01:12, adrian15 escribió:
El 22/01/15 a las 22:25, Kris Moore escribió:

Hey all,

We are trying to create hybrid USB/DVD images, and they work just fine
on BIOS. However it doesn't seem to work when creating UEFI.

We are using the following:

# grub-mkrescue -d "/usr/local/lib/grub/x86_64-efi" -o <outfile> <dir>
-- -volid "OURLABEL"

This image does boot UEFI via DVD, but when copied to a USB stick with
dd it fails to boot with the following:

   Hi,

   I'm going to describe what I use for making a USB/CDROM EFI/x86
hybrid image for building SG2D (An improved Grub2 Disk).

   But my question (after reading other replies to this question) is why
Grub2 should be patched for what he wants ? Is it a non standard EFI
boot maybe?

   Thank you.

   Debian way

I just wanted to say that recipe does not produce an image that can be booted from UEFI hard disk.

I had assumed all this time that it worked (I only tested the EFI CDROM boot) because if you read it here:

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM.html#Making-a-GRUB-bootable-CD_002dROM

grub-mkrescue -o grub.iso iso
This produces a file named grub.iso, which then can be burned into a CD (or a DVD), or written to a USB mass storage device.

So, if I'm not mistaken that's not true when you boot from EFI (Well, I know that you are fixing it on this thread).

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/