grub-devel

Randomized TCP client ports

From: Walter Huf
Subject: Randomized TCP client ports
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 13:04:20 -0800

In the course of developing netboot menus, and rebooting my virtual machine often, I am running into a problem where Grub is reusing the same TCP client ports across reboots, and my server (because of TCP TIME_WAIT) objects to this.

I have a small change to set the initial client port based on grub_rtc_get_time_ms(), but I'm not sure if that functionality is available on all supported platforms. I'd like to provide a general contribution that works on all platforms.

Is there a general way to get a pseudo-random integer that is different on each boot?

Thank you very much!