grub-devel

Re: TPM support within Grub2

From: Matthew Garrett
Subject: Re: TPM support within Grub2
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 19:10:32 +0100

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 12:33:42PM -0400, Daniel P. Smith wrote:
> On 07/16/2018 08:06 AM, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> > In general I am not against reorganization you are mentioning above.
> > Though I think that then you should rearange Matthew code and repost
> > it. Of course if Matthew does not object.
>
> I can align Matthew's code or if he would like, he is more than welcome
> to collaborate on the solution.

There's a lot of user demand for TPM2 support in grub, so my preference
would be:

1) Review and merge the verifiers framework
2) Update the current TPM2 code to match and review and merge that
3) Ensure that the functionality matches user expectations and then
develop a more generic midlayer based on that to support additional TPM
backends

My concern about doing (3) before (2) is that it may take multiple
attempts to develop something that works for us, and delay being able to
provide functionality that people would like to take advantage of. I
think some real-world use would make the process easier.

--
Matthew Garrett | address@hidden