grub-devel

Grub Menu - tweak to identify hostname associated with bootable system

From: ERIC MARCEAU
Subject: Grub Menu - tweak to identify hostname associated with bootable system
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 02:16:20 +0000 (UTC)

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could incorporate the logic to extract the hostname on each bootable partition and report those in the appropriate menu options presented by grub.

I have hard coded this with simple shell logic based on a case statement matching UUID.

Attached are the files (10_linux, 30_os-prober) which I have tweaked to achieve the UUID match and reporting.

I also include a snapshot of what the menu looks like.  I currently use Grub 2.

But I recognize that is not logic which is dynamic to report correctly for anyone installing the distros, and that it would be better to probe each of the detected partition to locate the   "${PartROOT}/etc/hostname"   file to create the appropriate entries in 10_linux and 30_os-prober scripts by the grub-install script

I hope that someone will be able to implement the more generalized logic some time in the near future.

Thank you,