guile-devel-internal

spamassassin updated on sanpietro to v2.60

From: Noel Cragg
Subject: spamassassin updated on sanpietro to v2.60
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:33:45 -0800

If you're not yet using spamassassin, I'd recommend you give it a try.

Fitz said the following in July 2003:

  I've been using it for about 6 months now, and it catches 99% of my
  spam. I get about 2 false positives a month, but those are my American
  Airlines notice mails--I need to put an exception in for them.

(It's gotten much better since then.)

Karl says, "It works like a charm; don't know how I got along without
it."  I agree wholeheartedly.

Here's again is the single, easy, quick start instruction:

  Create ~/.procmailrc and put the following rule into it:

    :0fw
    | /var/spamd/bin/spamc

That's it!  spamassassin will add "X-Spam-Status" and "X-Spam-Level"
headers to your incoming mail, which you can use to filter out spam with
procmail or any other nifty processing features your mailer might have.

Those who don't want to do either of those things may wish to put
"rewrite_subject 1" into their ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file so that
spam messages are clearly marked as "*****SPAM***** foo bar baz."

Read the contents of /var/spamd/README for full instructions.  (Karl, I
fixed the mistakes you pointed out.)

This latest version is 2.60 and has both razor2 (2.36) and dcc (1.2.20)
support (both are distributed checksum databases for spam).  The
bayesian filtering routines are still disabled by default -- some people
(like Fitz) have tried it and disabled it.  I'm still using it and find
that it works pretty well for me.  (If you want to try it out yourself
and form your own opinion, put "use_bayes 1" in your
~/.spamassassin/user_prefs file.)

Note: the daemon hasn't been doing the best job for the last few weeks
or so -- when the last perl upgrade happened on sp, it broke some of the
compiled modules.  I'm sorry I didn't notice sooner.  You should see
spam drop to pre-November lows again.