Re: coredump in scm_ithrow

From: Gary Houston
Subject: Re: coredump in scm_ithrow
Date: 17 Sep 2000 09:27:33 -0000

> From: Marius Vollmer <address@hidden>
> Date: 10 Sep 2000 15:43:03 +0200

> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Is the problem really platform specific, or does it occur on
> > several/most/all platforms?  If so, then we could rather check for
> > the compiler version than to try to create a test case that on some
> > platforms works and on others doesn't.
>
> I think detecting the GCSE bug can be arbitrarily hairy, and we should
> probably just put in the barrier unconditionally.  That is, even on
> GCCs that don't have the GCSE bug, we will inhibit some optimizations,
> but I think these optimizations aren't important enough to care so
> strong about them.

It seems like the inhibited optimisation would be the one that
shouldn't have been done, so I wouldn't worry too much about
performance.  Most likely it would be possible to avoid the bug by
reorganising the code, e.g., move the abort into a separate procedure.

I've removed the probably-broken BROKEN_GCSE test from configure.