Re: Where should I install compiled modules please?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Where should I install compiled modules please?
Date: 15 Oct 2000 01:23:37 +0100

    Marius> address@hidden writes:
    >> Is there a correct architecture/OS specific place to put this,
    >> or is my only option the existing location in the shared area?

    Marius> You can put a architecture-dependent directory on
    Marius> GUILE_LOAD_PATH.  Then guile will be able to find your
    Marius> library.

Same yank ... different question ...

The idea of putting an architecture-dependent directory on
GUILE_LOAD_PATH seems sensible to me.  But the existing reference
manual text strongly implies that that would actually be a bad thing
to do:

  Note that we used a symlink to make @file{libbessel.so} appear in
  the right spot.  This is probably not a bad idea in general.  The
  directories that the @file{%load-path} normally contains are
  supposed to contain only architecture independent files.  They are
  not really the right place for a shared library.  You might want to
  install the libraries somewhere below @samp{exec_prefix} and then
  symlink to them from the architecture independent directory.  This
  will at least work on heterogenous systems where the architecture
  dependent stuff resides in the same place on all machines (which
  seems like a good idea to me anyway).

The key sentence, I think, is "The directories that the
@file{%load-path} normally contains are supposed to contain only
architecture independent files."  Why is this, or is the sentiment no
longer accurate?