Errors running tex on r5rs.texi

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Errors running tex on r5rs.texi
Date: 03 Nov 2000 16:10:20 +0000

Hi Aubrey,

A Guile user has pointed out that `tex r5rs.texi' doesn't work.  Since
I am currently working on the Guile documentation, I have been
investigating this.  I have checked that Guile's copy of r5rs.texi is
the same as the master copy on your web page at
http://www.swiss.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/Scheme.html - it is the same.

All the errors are attributable to three problems:

(1) \pproto{...} forms in the LaTeX original which include parentheses
    around the argument.  These are translated to Texinfo @deffn forms
    with parentheses around the name and parameters, which appears to
    be illegal: TeX says:

! Unbalanced parentheses in @def.
@defunargs ...age {Unbalanced parentheses in @def}
                                                  @fi @interlinepenalty =100...

@deffnheader ...p @defname address@hidden {#3}
                                                  @endgroup @catcode
address@hidden

@spacesplitfoo ...lax address@hidden #1{#2}{#3#4}
                                                  @fi
l.714 ...cedure} (vector-ref @var{vector} @var{k})

    This causes errors at lines 714, 725, 728, 1614 and 2258 of
    r5rs.txi.  All but the last can be fixed simply by removing the
    parentheses.  The last - for the do syntax - is more tricky since
    the definition covers more than one line; I don't know what to do
    here.

    There are no \pproto{(...)} forms which do not lead to this
    problem; so you might like to modify the translation for
    \pproto{(...)} so that it omits the leading and trailing
    parentheses from the output.

(2) At line 2316, the named let syntax uses a @deffnx form, whereas it
    should be a @deffn form.  Fix is to change @deffnx to @deffn; I
    have not investigated what this means for the translation from the
    LaTeX.

(3) At line 7320, the @ignore ... @end ignore lines somehow mess up
    the processing of the @t{...} form in which they appear.  Fix is
    to insert "@c " at the beginning of these three lines.  I haven't
    investigated why @ignore ... @end ignore doesn't work while the
    \todo{...} in the original LaTeX does.

Are you interested in pursuing and resolving these problems in your
version of r5rs.txi?  If yes, I'll resync the Guile version once that
is done.  Otherwise, I'll fix the Guile copy as best I can
independently.

Please let me know if you need any further information.