Re: Input only readline port

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Input only readline port
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:53:05 +0100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>     Marius> I can't find any good reason, either, except maybe that
>     Marius> people want to use the object returned by (readline-port)
>     Marius> as a port representing the console and thus doing input
>     Marius> and output on it.  ...
>
> I don't quite follow your intention here.  What would it mean to
> understand (readline-port) as a console port, or to do output to it?

I think I meant something like this: People might assume that
(current-input-port) is connected to a tty and treat it as the
`current terminal port' and use it both for input and output.  They
are not be aware that it really is a readline port.

*Shrug*, I don't know if I'm convinced by this argument, but I don't
see a need to change the existing practice, either.