scm_c_make_string

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: scm_c_make_string
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:37:43 +0100 (MET)

Hello everybody,

some time ago I had promised to provide a function scm_c_make_string as a
replacement for scm_makstr.  This should, in principle, be easy to do.
However, I am still thinking about our recent discussion about string
representations, and thus realized, that with a variable character length
string representation, there is no possibility to deliver something like
an 'uninitialized' string:  If there were 'random' bytes within a string,
this would mean that the string could be corrupted.  In other words, when
switching to a variable length character representation, every new string
needs to be initialized, preferably assuming that there will be only
one-byte characters put into the string.

Just another point to consider when the switch to a different string
representation is about to happen...

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann

--
This message is best viewed with ISO 8859/1 (latin-1) character encoding.
              Microsoft .. what do you want to boot today?