Re: [Autogen-devel] building a libguile client

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [Autogen-devel] building a libguile client
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 06:54:46 -0400

Bruce Korb wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > I execute noag-boot.sh and find that configure can't locate
> > -lregex for some reason.  I do have it in /usr/lib.
>
> But not in /usr/lib/libc*.

But, couldn't we just look for them in the other common libraries in the
configury before complaining and have the configury set the LIBS value
appropriately?

> > So I export LIBS=-lregex and execute noag-boot.sh again.
>
> Exactly the thing I was hoping to point you at with the config message:

Yep, that's what clued me in.

> >   cat >&2 <<'_EOF_'
> > I cannot detect POSIX compliant regcomp/regexec routines.
> > These are required for AutoGen to work correctly.  If you have
> > such a library present on your system, you must specify it by
> > setting the LIBS environment variable, e.g., "LIBS='-lregex'".
> > If you do not have such a library on your system, then you should
> > download and install, for example, the one from:
> >     ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/rx/
>
> > I make distclean, configure --prefix=/usr --disable-shared and make.
> > Now I find config.h and /usr/include/libguile/scmconfig.h redefine
> > a boat load of constants, like PACKAGE_*, is this due to
> > a misconfigure of libguile?
>
> Yes.  Unfortunately, there is no trivial
> way out of the problem.  I think the proper solution is for guile
> (and any other package that installs its own config.h file) to
> "prefix" the defines:
>
>  http://ac-archive.sf.net/Miscellaneous/ac_create_prefix_config_h.html
>
> and use those #define-d values from their installed config header.
> It would be "good" to prominently document the importance of this
> in the autoconf docs.  Meanwhile, we have a problem....

So it sounds as if we need to submit patches to libguile, if not done so
already, and argue the case.  However, we might need to update autoconf
documentation first.

> > I finally get to the compile of agen5/cgi-fsm.c and find cgi-fsm.h
> > missing.  Is this supposed to be generated?  The agen5/cgi-fsm.c file is
> > stored in CVS, should the corresponding header also be available from
> > CVS?
>
> No.  cgi-fsm.c is under CVS because it contains some edited source,
> though it is mostly generated.  Looks like I left cgi-fsm.h off the
> list of generated source.  Sorry.  It will be updated in a few minutes.
> I'll also send it as an attachment under separate cover.

Thanks,
Earnie.