Re: New module system option :duplicates

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: New module system option :duplicates
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 16:08:01 +0100

Thank you very much for your detailed reply!

Unfortunately, I'm very, very busy right now, so you'll have to excuse
me answering for real a little later.

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Just giving the license to merge any and all generics that have
> colliding names is probably not what one wants.

Actually, I'd like to have the option to do exactly that.  In my view,
we can reasonably safely regard the merging as an administrative
non-issue for most programs.

> One usualy has a specific few in mind that need to be merged, I think.

I'd very much like to be able to avoid explicitly listing these.
While I have a reasonable grasp of the meaning of object accessors
taken one by one, I usually have a very poor grasp of the intersection
between the sets of exported accessors from two modules.

Other than that, I very much understand your objections and agree with
them to a large extent.

I'll look through your letter carefully later and see if it's possible
to provide for both alternatives (license to merge + explicit
listing), while still being compatible with your workbook module
system proposal.  (I should have read that before implementing
duplicates, but I needed this working quickly! :)

Thanks,
Mikael