Backward compatibility

From: Dirk Herrmann
Subject: Backward compatibility
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:33:59 +0200

Hello together,

I would like to remove the SCM_IM_ definitions from the public interface. Also, the definition of ilocs should not be public. These definitions should only be used as an internal interface, for example between memoization and execution. To make this possible and to clean up certain issues, I have some ideas about changing the type codes of immediates.

This, however, would influence the backwards compatibility. Later code would remain source code compatible, but not binary compatible. That is, the code would need to be recompiled.

I realize that you, Marius, have put a lot of effort to make guile backwards compatible. Do you intend to make it binary backwards compatible, or is it sufficient for you if Guile was sourcecode backwards compatible?

Best regards
Dirk