Re: Internal defines

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Internal defines
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 20:21:01 -0600

Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

> In other words, the examle code above should return #t, because the
> expression (a (c x) (c x)) refers to the internal define rather than
> to the outer macro.  Guile, however, has up to now performed macro
> expansion before checking whether the form is a definition.  Thus,
> the example above returns an error, since Guile interprets (a (c x)
> (c x)) as a macro application, in this case a definition.  The body
> then (according to Guile's interpretation) consists only of
> definitions.

Hmm, so just to clarify, you're arguing against a rigid "read, expand,
eval" process, and in favor of considering the context of expansions
before deciding whether or not to expand?

If so, could you elaborate a bit more on the justification for either
choice?  Note that I'm not at all predisposed against your
position[1]; I'd just like to make sure I understand the rationale(s).

Thanks

[1] though I'm not sure I would have been completely surprised by a
macro taking effect before anything else.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu