Re: New syntax: (: MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: New syntax: (: MODULE-NAME VARIABLE-NAME)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:00:32 -0500

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> what about making the changes below?  The only unclean thing is that
>>> we would need to change the interpretation of a single ':'.
>>
>> But isn't that pretty darn unclean?  It changes the lexical structure
>> of the language.
>
> Hmm, yes and no.  With the change, ':' remains a variable identifier
> and the new syntax is actually a macro:

OK, I see.  For some reason I thought this would be done on the reader
level (maybe because of the discussion we've had about the syntax to
use for foreign identifiers in macro output (in the memoizer)).

>> I vote for using some syntax which is compatible with R5RS and would
>> urge you strongly to at least keep the possibility to be compatible
>> (=> new option controlling the interpretation of colon).
>
> Given that the syntax is compatible, do you think we still need an
> option for making (keyword ':) true again?

Unfortunately, I don't have time now to think that through.  I guess
it does feel a bit awkward that we remove the read syntax for empty
keywords is removed this way, but I think I shouldn't meddle further
in this issue. :)

Best regards,
Mikael