Re: bug with read-string!/partial

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: bug with read-string!/partial
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:31:20 +1000

> why is this using null-delimited strings?

I think that's all posix provides.  Separate regexp libraries might do
better.  I was going to add a note about no nulls in the manual, but
never did.

Speaking of regexps, what I think I will do for the docs is put
someting like the following about locale chars.  (I got into trouble
trying to match some shift-jis bytes when in a utf-8 locale.)

   POSIX regexp functions interpret both regexps and input strings in
the locale character set.  Since Guile strings are currently merely
bytes (*note Conversion to/from C::), care should be taken when working
with non-ASCII characters.  If `setlocale' has been called and selects
a multibyte codeset (*note Locales::), then non-ASCII bytes may be
interpreted as a multibyte character.