Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Guile + Boehm GC: First Remarks
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 16:59:18 +0200

Ludovic Courtès schreef:
But please, relax about performance, we still haven't run any meaningful
benchmark.  ;-)
btw, is there any news on this patch?  I'm quite keen on dumping
LilyPond's Rational class in favor of Scheme rationals, but adding gc
mark functions for that is just too much work; BGC would be a nice
soluiton to this.

Well, no real news.  My "not-so-meaningful benchmarks" (running a
loop[*]) reproductively show that "GBGC" is noticeably slower than "real
Guile" (1.5 to 2 times slower).

tuning down GC_free_space_divisor to 2 sped things up a little bit, around 10 %. I'm now at 77sec (vs GUILE 1.8: 52 sec)

I'm on dual-core nowadays, so real time it's actually still a bit faster, as BGC is multithreaded.