Re: deprecated features

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: deprecated features
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:20:36 +0100

Kevin Ryde escreveu:
>> I think it is reasonable to let deprecated interfaces live for one stable
>> release,
>
> You yourself have complained about things changed and removed, no?
> SCM_STRING_CHARS perhaps ... :-)

Perhaps, but I'm for cleaner code. Having to keep deprecated stuff
around (and worse: having to write various deprecation wrappers for
them) is detrimental to code quality.

If the consensus is that removing deprecated features will not ever be
done, then there is little point in marking routines as such, and
writing wrappers to signal their use. We could clean up GUILE by
throwing away all the bookkeeping.

> One stable is much too short.  Surely it's not reasonable to expect
> everyone to review all their programs on every stable release.

I tend to disagree.

At the current release rate of GUILE, I'd expect anyone using GUILE
seriously to run the CVS version.  I do, at least.