Re: Switching to Git?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Switching to Git?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:41:03 +0200

Hi,

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I would say no.  All these other revision systems seem to come and go,

It's a legitimate feeling with all this distributed RCS hype, and with
all these competing projects.  OTOH, distributed RCS no longer qualifies
as a "new" area, I think, and things seem to be "settling down" now.

Besides, just because it looks fashionable doesn't mean it provides no
benefits.  For instance, CVS has a number of shortcomings unrelated to
the fact that it's centralized, most of which are addressed by other
centralized RCS like Subversion.

> but their supposed features rarely seem to justify the learning curve
> (the frequently steep, time consuming, and frustrating curve :-).

Git's basic command set is really close to that of CVS.  I recommend
that you look at this document:

  http://git.or.cz/course/cvs.html

(It's about Cogito, a tool built on top of Git, but for most commands
you could substitute `git' to `cg'.)

I see that Emacs (which still uses CVS as its primary RCS) has a Git
mirror at Savannah.  If Savannah people can do this for us, that'd be a
good compromise, I think, as long as it allows people to use either CVS
or Git without interfering.

Thanks,
Ludovic.