Re: [r6rs-discuss] Implementors' intentions concerning R6RS

From: Klaus Schilling
Subject: Re: [r6rs-discuss] Implementors' intentions concerning R6RS
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 18:49:36 +0100 (CET)

From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 12:14:33 +0100

> Hi,
>
> Klaus Schilling <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > No, guile is a hell of a fast interpreter.
> > Faster implementations either aren't interpreters
> > thus losing flexibility
> > or pretty sloppy concerning  garbage collection stuff.
>
> I don't think so.  Try out, for instance, Bigloo's *interpreter*.

The Bigloo Interpreter is crippled beyond acceptability:

    Bigloo-Manual> Bigloo includes an interpreter. Unfortunately, the
    Bigloo-Manual> language accepted by the interpreter is a proper
    Bigloo-Manual> subset of that accepted by the compiler. The main
    Bigloo-Manual> differences are: No foreign ob jects can be handled
    Bigloo-Manual> by interpreter.  Classes of the ob ject system
    Bigloo-Manual> cannot be declared within interpreted code.  The
    Bigloo-Manual> interpreter ignores modules, and has a unique
    Bigloo-Manual> global environment.

    Klaus Schilling