Re: development goals

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: development goals
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 09:08:25 +0200

Hi,

On Mon 08 Sep 2008 12:16, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> - Nobody has enough initiative to put a single strategic #ifdef in the
>>   code.
>
> To me, it looks like the "strategic #if 0" was a way of admitting that
> we know our code is broken, we don't know why, and we don't want to
> investigate that ATM but we might eventually do that if we have time.
> So no, I didn't feel that happy with this.

I was not happy with this either.

>> - If someone finally does take initiative, it's only ok if it is
>>   perfect.

It's great that you're working on this stuff! But it should have been
pushed to a branch. The thing is, it really *does* need to be perfect.
Maybe not at first push, but within a couple weeks of being merged to
mainline. My fear was that since Guile hackers have so little time, in
general, that you would push something broken in corner cases, then walk
off -- not a concern specific to any one person.

It's good that you are sticking around to iron out the bugs.

http://wingolog.org/