Re: multi-threading

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: multi-threading
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:40:36 +0100

On 06/10/2008, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> Surely.  AFAIUI, the reason why Debian doesn't do this is that, (1) part
>  of the test suite used to fail --with-threads, and (2) when the problem
>  eventually disappeared, people noticed that Guile --with and
>  --without-threads aren't ABI-compatible, so Debian has to stick to
>  --without-threads for 1.8's lifetime.

Do you know the details of the ABI compatibility issue?

>  Besides, the doc could emphasize that only the main thread can use
>  Guile-without-threads in a pthread program.

The problem is that there's no 'hook' to associate this doc with.  We
can't say 'if you do so-and-so, take care to note that only the main
thread can use Guile', because there is no so-and-so - because
--without-threads is the default.

If we made --with-threads the default, we could say what you suggest
as part of the doc for --without-threads.

So I think we should do that - but preferably after solving the ABI issue first.