Re: vm status update

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: vm status update
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 16:45:55 +0000

2009/1/5 Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>:

> "Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Nice.  Regarding the merge to master, though,
>>
>> - I think that would imply that the VM is included in the next release
>> series (1.10.x or 2.0.x); is that your intention?  (I have no
>> objection!)
>
> No objection either, but...  some benchmarking would be really nice.
> :-)

Agreed - and I would guess that Andy already has something here....?

>> - if yes to that, even so it might help us to hold off on the merge
>> for now, until we've finished reviewing everything else in
>> branch_release-1-8..master, and moving _out_ anything that should be
>> in the next release series.
>
> Did you mean "that should *not* be"?

Yes, sorry.

>> Now the last point makes it sound as though there's actually a plan
>> here, and I'm afraid there isn't really.  But I've recently been
>> looking at the branch_release-1-8..master diffs, and reverting some
>> that shouldn't have been there, and I think Ludovic may have been
>> doing a little of that too.
>
> What are you referring too?  Some time between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6, I added
> `SCM_INTERNAL' and then reverted it from `branch_release-1-8' as it
> would have caused ABI incompatibilities.  But that's the only thing I
> remember of.

I didn't mean the SCM_INTERNAL changes.

I meant commits like this one:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=9320e9339085b4d004c255eb55619819fe0b3ca2.

Another bigger example, by me, is
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=69986e21d30b85bd0b4fd7e81cd24cef586c4871.

So I guess "revert" wasn't the right word to use.  I really meant
removing any unjustified diffs between branch_release-1-8 and master.

> Do you think there are things currently in `master' that should be
> reverted?

No, but I think we should check.  I'm only expecting small stuff, like
the incorrect notes about being subscribed to bug-guile; I'm not
suggesting that any significant work should be reverted!

One example which I have noticed is adding AB_INIT to configure.in.  I
presume that should go into master too?