Re: Plan for 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Plan for 2.0
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:43:21 +0100

Hi Neil,

"Neil Jerram" <address@hidden> writes:

> Below is a raw summary of all diffs between current branch_release-1-8
> and master.  Next step is to check that everything here is correct,
> and properly+fully documented in the manual and in NEWS.  The
> "Queries" at the end are bits that I'm not sure I understand yet.

Thanks for going through this.

> Use of Gnulib
> - linker warning
> - alloca - Have we inadvertently removed requirement for a real alloca?

No.  Gnulib's `alloca' provides a substitute when that's needed and most
importantly provides the right #ifdefs to get a working `alloca ()' (see
`lib/alloca.in.h' and (info "(autoconf) Particular Functions")).

> serial number in guile.m4

Why is that?  Are there differences?

> eval.c/eval.i.c
> - still need to compare old eval.c against new eval.i.c
> - why does eval.i.c contain code that is common to both modes and that
>   is not compiled twice?

Like what?  The top of the file is in `#ifdef DEVAL'.

> SCM_INTERNAL (grep diffs for SCM_INTERNAL to get list of affected functions)

Speaking of which, some functions were left external (e.g.,
`scm_i_string_chars ()') under the assumption that if we changed that in
1.8 (which was my plan back then) it would break apps.  We may need to
revise that.

> Queries
> =======
> AC_SUBST(GCC_FLAGS)

This is so that we don't compile Gnulib code with `-Wall -Werror' since
Gnulib doesn't guarantee that this would work.

> lib-version.texi

This is for use in `api-i18n.texi', for instance.

> ChangeLogs still in distribution?

Yes, same as for `branch_release-1-8'.

> libguile in subdirs list of pre-inst-guile.in

Dunno why.  The Right Way would be to use `libtool --mode=execute
-dlopen foo-bar.la' anyway.

Thanks,
Ludo'.