Re: intermittent segfaults in master

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: intermittent segfaults in master
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 23:58:45 +0000

Ken Raeburn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Oct 24, 2009, at 09:30, Andy Wingo , address@hidden wrote:
>> I have been experiencing intermittent segfaults recently, as I
>> worked on
>> wip-case-lambda. They would almost always go away immediately -- as
>> in,
>> while rebuilding guile, the process would stop because of a segfault,
>> but I could type make again and it would succeed.
>
> I've been seeing intermittent faults too, while working on the trunk
> and building with -DSCM_DEBUG=1.

FWIW I got a segfault that could be this same problem, in my build on
Monday morning:

cat alist.doc arbiters.doc [...] regex-posix.doc | GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools snarf-check-and-output-texi          >
guile-procedures.texi || { rm guile-procedures.texi; false; }
/bin/sh: line 1:  6408 Broken pipe             cat alist.doc arbiters.doc [...]
regex-posix.doc
      6409 Segmentation fault      | GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
../meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools snarf-check-and-output-texi >
guile-procedures.texi
make[3]: *** [guile-procedures.texi] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/SW/Guile/ovnight/libguile'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/SW/Guile/ovnight/libguile'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/neil/SW/Guile/ovnight'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Interestingly, the build then tries to run the built guile again almost
immediately, for a different purpose, and that failed too:

=== API listing
../maint/make-snap: line 3:  6445 Segmentation fault      $uninstalled_env
../maint/objd.scm

Maybe it was just unlucky to fault twice, but maybe there's a hint here
that tendency-to-fault could be a property of a particular built guile.