Re: Hosting for Guile-PHP

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Hosting for Guile-PHP
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:00:00 +0200

Hello,

Jon Herron <address@hidden> writes:

>   Sure, that sounds fine to me.  I definitely understand wanting to
> promote Scheme over PHP from a GNU point of view, for me personally I
> have to use PHP at work and any potential chance to slide some Scheme
> in the mix would be welcome (to me at least).

Yeah, I think that’s typically something that people choosing to use
Guile-PHP would enjoy.

> I chose Guile as my Scheme implementation mainly due to the compiler
> tower, example language implementations and mention of a PHP
> translator under the cool ideas section.  I understand this was not a
> firm desire, nor guarantee of acceptance on the projects behalf.  I
> have not regretted my decision to use Guile one bit, and plan to
> continue Guile-PHP as time permits.  If a merge is beneficial in the
> future that's great, if not no hard feelings.

OK.

>   With that being said, is there another area of the project that
> would be beneficial for me to look at?  I've seen various mentions of
> the ECMAScript front-end but not sure what is needed there.  Other
> bugs? Desired libraries?

First it needs to be fixed within the next few weeks because it fails to
compile even simple expressions (see ‘ecmascript.test’).  But maybe
that’s on Andy’s to-do list?  :-)

Then my guess is that it mostly needs applications and use cases, which
in turn may lead to specific requirements such as additional libraries.

Thanks,
Ludo’.