Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-manual-2, updated. release_1-9

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, wip-manual-2, updated. release_1-9-9-85-g0a864be
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 22:18:32 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Neil,

Hi Andy,

> I also think that wip-manual-2 is looking great! Your commit granularity
> is also really nice.

Thanks.

>>From my perspective each commit is ready! Why not just merge now? It's
> getting monotonically better :)

OK, I'll do that; thanks for the suggestion.  For the sake of
explanation: I guess when I started wip-manual-2 I wasn't totally sure
that my direction was correct, or that it would meet with approval.  But
given that it does, I agree that it makes sense now to continue in
master.

> That way when someone writes new docs, they have a better idea about how
> that fits in. For example I need to write something about "nil", and
> I'll look at your branch and see where you're going, but if it were
> merged already I could just look at the state of master and see where
> the right place would be.

Yes, absolutely.

> I still think it's the right statement to make :) Guile _is_ and _has_
> other things as well, but fundamentally it's a Scheme. IMO at least :)

Agreed.  Historically and philosophically that's clearly true.  And from
a practical point of view, however many other languages we support,
Scheme will always remain special because the compiler itself is written
in Scheme.