Re: Updated Guile Tutorial

From: Daniel Kraft
Subject: Re: Updated Guile Tutorial
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:17:54 +0200

I forgot to CC, so here again.

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 15:15:34 +0200
From: Daniel Kraft <address@hidden>
To: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>

Andy Wingo wrote:
from my point of view, I'd be glad if you replaced the old tutorial with
my version

I have done so on the web site, thanks.

Cool!

(and included it into the source distro / manual -- feel free
to do the copyright assignment and licensing as required for that).

I'm happy to do that, but it would be some work -- both documents have
fine tone, but they are not the same tone ;)

Yes, maybe it's best to not introduce the tutorial as an "integral part"
of the manual -- but rather as a seperate item, which may be referred to
or linked to in the manual.  what do you think?

Also because there's no gnuplot library, it's hard to cover the spectrum
of "extending applications in Guile".

On the other hand, there is GNU plotutils, which does have a library:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/plotutils/

But on the other other hand, it seems quite bitrotten...

I also have this impression, unfortunately.  But if you see a "good" way
to do the visualization instead of forking gnuplot, I'm happy to adapt
the tutorial.

What's the dynamic FFI?  I notice that I unfortunately lost contact to
Guile some time ago (over the last year at university that was very
work-intensive).

See
http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/master/guile.html/Dynamic-FFI.html#Dynamic-FFI.

Well, *that* looks really cool!  I have to give it a try soon :D  Do you
have a suggestion for how to integrate this with the manual?  It seems
to me that with such a small project it does not make sense to do both
registering procedures from C and using the FFI.  But maybe we could
just call some libc function at one place?  Although I have no idea so far.

Yours,
Daniel

--
http://www.pro-vegan.info/