Re: Can `make tags' generate tags for Scheme source, as well as C?

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: Can `make tags' generate tags for Scheme source, as well as C?
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:24:48 +0200

On Tue, Oct 12 2010, Andy Wingo wrote:

[...]

>> I'm sorry, I think I was being a bit stupid - expecting that it would
>> work even before starting a REPL.
>
> Is this a bad expectation? It is the first impression.

Expecting anything to work in Geiser before starting (or connecting to)
a REPL is a bad expectation, yes :) I guess you mean symbol locations
not being available until you compile the module?

> If your source code is loaded it is autocompiled and you should find the
> edit locations, but if they is not loaded, are the module headers enough
> to autoload the needed pieces?

If the module is not loaded (or compiled), Geiser provides information
for those symbols visible in the REPL's current namespace. I don't think
it's a good a idea to load modules behind the user's back. It could in
principle provide info for those symbols in modules in the import list
that are already loaded, but i'm not sure the amount of work that
entails is worth it :)