Re: Obsoleted Guile interfaces

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Obsoleted Guile interfaces
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:34:35 +0100

Hi Bruce,

What message are you replying to?

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> On 01/20/11 02:14, Harlan Stenn wrote:
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> In psp-deb1:stenn/src/gnu/autogen/autogen-5.11.6pre14/A.psp-deb1/ I'm
>> seeing a build problem because libguile does not contain
>> scm_c_make_string .  psp-deb is running guile 1.6.8.

This function is public and available in 1.9 and 1.8:

  SCM_API SCM scm_c_make_string (size_t len, SCM chr);

> By the way, that failure is only in the config stuff.
> I didn't carefully scrutinize that part of the patch
> the Ubuntu folks gave me.  Looks like guile 1.6 doesn't
> support scm_c_make_string and 1.9 has no alternative.
> Thus, the config test code needs some if-def-ing.
> Perhaps the Guile folks can point me to some config
> test code that will identify a working Guile of the
> 1.4.x through 1.9.x persuasion.  It is getting very
> difficult.

Perhaps Thien-Thi’s Guile-BAUX could be helpful to you:

  http://www.gnuvola.org/software/guile-baux/

> P.S. note to Guile folks:  I set this in my testing environment:
>>    export GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED=detailed
> and had never been whacked with any deprecated messages
> until Ubuntu could not build because deprecated interfaces
> were dropped.

Which interfaces specifically?

> I think this was because the deprecated interfaces were #define-d to
> non-deprecated interfaces and the libguile couldn't tell that I was
> using old stuff.  May I suggest *NOT* eliminating such interfaces
> until they've been #define-d to something that *DOES* warn?

Guile 1.9 uses GCC’s ‘deprecated’ function attribute, which should make
things easier.

Thanks,
Ludo’.