Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:04:42 +0100

On Fri 18 Mar 2011 11:17, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I would add a ‘current-bytecode-endianness’ fluid in (language assembly
> compile-bytecode).  The ‘compile’ procedure would have an optional
> ‘endianness’ parameter, which would set this fluid.  And ‘guile-tools
> compile’ would have a command-line argument to specify the target
> endianness.

This sounds fine, but I would like to actually build a Guile
cross-compiler.  So build = host = my x86-64 laptop, but target = ARM
(for example).  Then you would use that Guile cross-compiler as
GUILE_FOR_BUILD, as you cross-compile Guile itself, or other packages
based on Guile.

It's true that a simple command-line argument and fluid could work, but
the situation will get more complicated, so we will need some part of
Guile to define the host and target triplets.  That's the questions I
was really asking: where in Guile to define those?

I am leaning towards some other module; (system machine-type) or
something, which would load some previously registered extension.

http://wingolog.org/