Re: problems solved by AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS [was: cross building 1.9.14

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: problems solved by AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS [was: cross building 1.9.14 for mingw]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 09:56:55 +0100

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2011-02/msg00010.html

> Also, why look in /usr before looking in gcc's library search path?
> If we'd look in /usr last, $DESTDIR builds would most probably
> not even need this --with-sysroot option and all would be happy?

I don't know which code makes your configure look in /usr early;
if there are any -L/usr/lib or -L/usr/lib64 instances on the link
command line or in what libtool generates, then that is usually an
error.  Otherwise, I'd hope that the macro looks in directories
specified with -L before any default ones; and using gcc's library
search path for the default ones sounds sensible, but allowing to prefix
all directories with a sysroot specified at configure time would still
be a very helpful improvement.

Arbitrary reordering of directories OTOH sounds like it would only lead
to more random breakage in other situations.

Cheers,
Ralf