Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al

From: Peter Brett
Subject: Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 13:39:00 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Finally, users are moving away from these functions anyway.  The thing
> to do now is to write Scheme, not C: and in Scheme we do the Right
> Thing.

I hope I'm misinterpreting this statement.  Using Guile as an extension
language for applications depends *heavily* on writing large amounts C
to provide fundamental API functions in C Scheme code can then invoke to
manipulate the application's state.  Is this disencouraged with Guile
2.0, then?

> So let's not let this particular consideration weigh too heavily on our
> choice of character encoding.

It would certainly make my life as a downstream application maintainer
much, much easier if all Guile API functions that accept a C string
argument expected UTF-8.  Having to double check (either by an explicit
save/restore or by code auditing) that whenever a string is passed to
Guile that the locale is set up correctly is a pain.

                          Peter

--
Peter Brett <address@hidden>
Remote Sensing Research Group