Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings

From: Peter Brett
Subject: Re: Accessing the environment's locale encoding settings
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 16:32:06 +0000

Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems like the right thing to do might be to do setlocale(LC_ALL,
> "") in Guile's main(). Let me argue that this accomplishes two goals
> which we want to accomplish

That seems entirely reasonable to me, as long as libguile users can
still set a non-environment locale before first entering Guile mode and
have libguile respect that.

However, I'd still be concerned about the case where filenames are
passed on the command line in an encoding that differs from the
environment encoding.  A few months ago, Mark mentioned that he was
looking at "safe" encodings for filenames.  I wonder if that's relevant
to command-line argument processing?

                            Peter

--
Peter Brett <address@hidden>