Re: guild hall update

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guild hall update
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:35:07 -0500

On Mon 22 Aug 2011 16:49, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> I kind of dislike the "marked as a member of some group" meme, whether
> expressed as "guild" or "sigil".  Traditionally, guilds were irascibly
> exclusive, subverting competition, introducing proprietary "extensions"
> and "trade marks", and (ultimately) capturing and controlling the
> prevalent regulatory regime.  (Side note: For a contemporary example at
> grander / graver scale, see U.S. SEC MUI memory holing.)  It bothers me
> that there is a "join and (only then you will) be cool" mindset at
> all.

I thought about this for a while, and considered other folks' input, and
in the end went back to the Guildhall name.  "Sigil" in modern days has
too many connotations with crystals and "magic".

I don't want to promote a "join and only then you will be cool" mindset,
but I do think that this project is a social one: a tool, yes, but one
that enables collective action.  We definitely need to make sure we
avoid the the exclusivity connotations of guilds, but I still
(erroneously?) think we can avoid them, if we choose the right emphasis.

Cheers,

http://wingolog.org/